This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 26th, 2009 at 8:02 pm and is filed under CCTLD. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Safenames will be supporting the widely anticipated launch of the “.CM” domain name extension. While COM.CM was launched last year, this is the first time that the second level of .CM will be available for registration. The launch of .CM presents risks for trademark holders. It is strongly recommend that clients apply for domain names with their trademarked brands during the initial Sunrise period to ensure that their brands are protected from typo-squatters and other misuse. Given that the .CM domain extension is very similar to .COM and the country code .CN (China), two of the most widely used domain extensions on the Internet, it is best to take the necessary action to secure your .CM at the time of Sunrise launch.
Sunrise Period Information:
- The Sunrise period will commence on: 15th June 2009, 9:00 UTC/10.00 GMT
- The Sunrise period ends on: 14th July 2009, 23:59:59 UTC/ 00:59 GMT
All applicants during the Sunrise period will be required to provide the following:
- A registered trademark number prior to the beginning of Sunrise
- Official documentation from a trademark registration body that demonstrates a valid trademark at the time of application
Please note, since applicants must provide written proof of trademark upon submission of an application, it is suggested that you have your documentation ready in advance of Sunrise to ensure your application will be processed promptly.
Following the Sunrise period, .CM will enter a “Landrush” phase that will allow businesses or individuals to place registration requests for .CM domains without any prior use or trademark requirements. For instances where there are more than one application for the same domain name an “auction” process will apply for registration rights to the name. Domain auctions will take place shortly after the .CM Landrush period concludes and applicants will be notified via e-mail with details of the auction process prior to its start.
Landrush Period Information:
- The Landrush period will commence on: 15th July 2009, 0:00:01 UTC
- The Landrush period ends on: 31st July 2009, 0:00:01
After the Landrush registration period General Registration commences. .CM domains will be registered on a “first come, first served” basis and is open to anyone who wishes to register a name.
General Registration Information:
- General Registration period commences on 1st August 2009, 0:00:01 UTC